The logo for a business is so important it should never be left to an amateur to design. That said, many people go ahead and create their design because they like fiddling with things like that on their computer. If that is you, here are some important rules to consider when designing a logo for your business or for a friend.
- Think carefully about what you want and sketch it out on a piece of paper. Try several other designs while you are at it. Don’t use an image from a gallery website because others also have access to that same image. You don’t want to see someone else with your logo, or even part of it.
- Using custom fonts will also help to make your logo design unique. That said, don’t use too many words in the logo because it risks being too fussy to be clear. Keeping to one font style and one size will make your logo easy to read – less is more. That said, try out many to find just the right choice.
- Remember that your design should suit your company. Girls in bikinis would suit a swimwear business but not a law practice.
- Minimise the number of colours. Choose two; three, tops. Keep them in the same colour range. It’s okay to break this rule so long as you know what you are doing and don’t use colours that clash.
- A logo design needs to look good and be easy to see when it is both large and small. Some logos are almost impossible to see once they’ve been scaled down. You will need to test your design, so go for the small version first because that is the most difficult to get right. You may need to cut out some of the elements to ensure clarity.
- Create a design that is balanced evenly on both sides for the best look. Take a look as some famous logo designs and notice how they are balanced – and that simple is best because it is the most easily recognised.
- How easy is your design to see? Remember that in the real world, potential customers may see only part of the logo or see it as they drive past. Print your logo out, then run past it, hold it up to the mirror and put it upside down. Can you still see it clearly and know what it says or means?
- If you are designing a logo for someone else, it is essential to research the company and find out all about them and their goals. In this way you will have a better idea of the kind of logo design that would help increase their business.